Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Spring 2016 - Blog Post 2


    As I looked through the many articles on Google Scholar, I found that yes there are many articles that I am able to find in regards to my research question. As STEMS is a relatively "new" idea, there are definite thoughts and ideas in regards to it, but I would not consider the question answered. Many people have implemented STEMS lessons into various units, but through Google Scholar I have found that people are trying it out on a temporary basis. There are many willing to try, but the reason there seems to be no set STEMS curriculum made is the case studies that have been done have run out of funding and the timelines that are completed are still ongoing. 

     My research question is: how does a teacher integrate STEMS lessons into a unit? As we are the first cohort in our STEMS master's program, I found it fitting to research how we would be able implement all the things that we are doing into my classroom and of course into my units. As I am at a new school and on a new team, I found the timing to be perfect. My team took to the idea and we are running with it. Our 6th grade theme this year is Aloha ʻĀina and so integrating STEMS lessons into things have been fun and exciting. Our team goal is to infuse WEO - Working Exit Outcomes which are like the DOE GLO's (21st Century Skills and `Ōlelo a Mo`omeheu Hawai`i) into our teaching to engage students in their learning, which will encourage creativity and innovation, critical thinking, stewardship, servant leadership, opportunities for collaboration and communication, and a solid foundation in Hawaiian culture and language. Our focus to do this is to merge our outdoor and indoor classrooms by providing students with an integrated curriculum focusing on STEMS through Aloha 'Āina. What a perfect union between work and our master's program.  

     How did I come up with this research question? Well this cohort and this STEMS2 program is what made this question a possibility. Without having our learning journeys on Oahu and the Big Island this past summer and the opportunity to see things through a STEMS lens, my question would not have come to fruition. Another reason I decided to go with this research question is that my students will engage in STEMS learning in class and while on various huakaʻi. They will apply their learning of STEMS independently to a culminating servant leadership project with a foundation of STEMS through our 6th grade Aloha 'Āina theme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment